Domestic and International Commercial and Insurance
Arbitration / Mediation / Expert Witness / Litigation Oversight
and Management Experience
- Center for Public Resources (CPR) International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution, Panels of Distinguished Neutrals for Insurance, Insurer-Policyholder, International, Environmental and New York.
- International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR), panel of international arbitrators.
- American Arbitration Association (AAA) National Rosters of Commercial Arbitrators and Mediators and Special Panels of Mediators for Superstorm Sandy Insurance mediations for New York and New Jersey
- New York and New Jersey court mediator rosters
- FedArb.com arbitrator panel
- ARIAS (AIDA Reinsurance and Insurance Arbitration Society), certified arbitrator.
- ICC Council of International Business, registered arbitrator, mediator, expert.
- Member, NYIAC (New York International Arbitration Center)
- FINRA (Financial Industry Regulatory Authority) arbitrator and mediator
- REMEDI (Reinsurance Mediation Institute) mediator
- Chair of 3 member ICC arbitration panel in dispute between U.S. airline and French electronics manufacturer over flight simulator contract. Completed discovery/hearing/written decision and award in 6 months.
Appointed as arbitrator by one of the largest US banks in AAA arbitration with major retailer over national credit card program following subprime crisis. Following court order, case was prepared for hearing on expedited basis with statements of twenty fact and expert witnesses in 3 months.
Appointed as arbitrator by acquiring company in AAA arbitration over post acquisition adjustments.
- Panel member in CPR international commercial arbitration between U.S. and Israeli companies in technology licensing dispute. Award issued after seven days of hearings.
- Chair of independent panel in international insurance coverage arbitration between U.S. based carrier and Australian insured.
- Appointed by both parties in AAA proceeding as sole arbitrator in domestic reinsurance dispute.
- Appointed by both parties in AAA arbitration as panel member in complex insurance coverage dispute.
- Appointed as sole arbitrator in expedited AAA franchise dispute
- Panel member in AAA baseball style arbitration
- Panel member in FINRA securities arbitration
- Conducted med-arb proceedings in EDNY case
- Appointed by American Arbitration Association to train mediators on Insurance coverage and law issues for AAA Superstorm Sandy mediation programs in New York and New Jersey; appointed to AAA, Ken Feinberg and EDNY Superstorm Sandy mediation panels. Served as mediator in more than 200 Superstorm Sandy mediations.
- Mediator in commercial, financial, real property (landlord/tenant) and complex domestic relations contract disputes.
Representative of insurance carrier on appeal to South African Supreme Court in successfully challenging lower court decision overturning ICC arbitration on nine figure claims and counterclaims with respect to software design/instillation contract dispute with government entity.
Represented foreign insurance carrier in JAMS mediations against US carrier on priority of coverage with regard to claims for 9/11 security breaches.
Represented professional liability carrier in mediations with international insured involving coverage, liability and damages for multiyear/multi event/multi jurisdiction / multi policy claims subject of state and federal court litigation.
Represented environmental insurance carrier in federal court sponsored mediation before magistrate judge at conclusion of lengthy litigation proceeding.
Represented medical insurance carrier on bad faith claim in court sponsored mediation following 8 figure jury award in medical malpractice case.
Represented cgl carrier in voluntary mediation with another carrier regarding coverage periods and allocation of responsibilities for defense/indemnification.
Represented carriers in reinsurance arbitrations.
Represented national insurance broker in mediation involving claims of wrongful conduct by agent.
Represented NYSE direct marketing company in JAMS and court sponsored mediations on contract and equipment leasing disputes.
Expert witness on New York law on behalf of insurance carrier in London arbitration on number of occurrence issue.
Expert witness on behalf of carrier in federal court on bad faith claim with regard to claims handling.
Expert witness on contract issues in banking dispute.
- Expert witness on behalf of policy holder in dispute with carrier and manufacturer
- Co-counsel to major creditor in debt recovery actions to enforce arbitration award against foreign government
- Advisor/counsel to insured in coordinating coverage claim with party settlement
Managed litigation response, including multiple law firms and expert witnesses as outside counsel on behalf of carrier with respect to government investigation following major natural disaster.
Established and managed law firm litigation and insurance practices.
Head of U.S. practice of foreign law firm; practiced in Paris for 2 years.
Headed International Bar Association International Litigation Committee and task force on worldwide litigation practices and procedures over multi-year period.
Adjunct professor of Insurance Law and Litigation at Fordham, Vermont and NYU Law Schools.
Center for Public Resources (CPR) International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution – Advanced Arbitration Course (2009).
Association of the Bar of the City of New York – Basic Mediation Course (2009) and Advanced Commercial Mediation Course (2010).
- ARIAS (AIDA Reinsurance and Insurance Arbitration Society) and REMEDI (Reinsurance Mediation Institute) Advanced Arbitration Certification and Mediation Courses (2010).
- ICDR International Symposium in Advanced Case Management Issues (2012)
- AAA Core Arbitration Training
- New York Super Lawyers, Insurance Coverage (2010 – present)